Tuesday, April 7, 2009

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I’ll be honest. There has been a lot of dread at my house as 4.8.09 approaches. Try as I may, I haven’t always been able to avoid the “what if,” “if only,” “why” questions with each passing day. I’m so thankful that Aaron is Home. And I know I will see him again. Those are peaceful TRUTHs…but the selfish human in me still sometimes feels guilty, cheated and confused about why he is gone and the road he had to walk to get there.

It is hard to visit Aaron's sweet little grave when I want him here with me.


I was excited about going to see Beth Moore this past weekend. I always look forward to a special Word, particularly from a really great teacher like her. And I knew the opportunity to hear her speak came at an opportune time. Her text from the weekend was 1 Thessalonians 5. This verse really stuck out to me.

The NIV says to be thankful “in all things.” Not FOR all things. But IN all things. The distinction suddenly hit me…then Beth pulled out a letter that was written to her on my behalf before the conference. And she read this:
Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:08 PM, CDT
Our Aaron is at home with the angels held tightly by our Lord. We got to hold him and rock him as he left this earth for a much better place. One of our doctors even rocked him with us and several cried with us. No more pain and suffering. We had not held him in 3 weeks, so we were thankful for this last opportunity on this earth. He only knew 2 weeks away from the hospital and we are thankful for each minute we had him.
We came here with Aaron to get a "new" heart for him. On Friday, he got this heart after 2 open heart surgeries and 2 heart caths. Some time between Saturday and yesterday morning, Aaron sustained a massive brain injury. No one knows the cause except our God. All the doctors are baffled and said it was not a clot or bleed, but severe swelling. The swelling was too much for Aaron to handle.

We can't begin to express our gratitude for all your prayers. We know our Father heard each one and they gave us comfort. Aaron felt peace from them as well. Even though we did not get a miracle healing of our son, we were blessed to have him with us for just over 7 weeks. Maybe that was our miracle.

**Thank you, Christi.

I don't remember feeling very thankful when I wrote that. In fact, I remember feeling numb. Devastated. Rocked to my core. In disbelief. And it was hard. Leaving the hospital without our son and flying 1000 miles home was difficult. I didn't feel very thankful. I was, however, thankful for the hundreds and thousands of prayers for Aaron and for us, for the support and for the love that was shown us at that time.
As I think back over the past year and all the kindness and comfort we have received from friends and strangers alike, I am reminded how much we appreciate kind words and comfort in our grief. Even simple things like a hug or a card mean(t) so much. Some of the people who have been the most encouraging to us are those who have themselves suffered the loss of a child.
On Sunday, as I reflected over the weekend, God showed me this verse:
2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

I’ve read this verse countless times before, but never really thought about it in the context of giving comfort to others. I just paid attention to the part about God comforting us. I have been given several opportunities to offer comfort to mothers who have lost a child or parents who have received a frightening diagnosis. I can honestly say that it has been such a blessing to me to be able to offer a kind word to others during their times of fear or brokenness.
I may not ever know why God chose Aaron to suffer and die an earthly death at only 50 days old. The wound still seems so very fresh. And my flesh makes me long to have him here with ME. I would trade giving "comfort as I have been given" in a heartbeat to have my little fourteen month old son here toddling around. But that is not the road we have been given. We must instead give thanks IN all things and strive to offer comfort to others “with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.”
See you soon, Aaron.

6 comments:

cheryl said...

I distinctly remember the message posted 4/8/08...feeling your deep sadness and praying for God's comfort and peace. Thank you for once again opening your heart...
sharing your faith and your sweet Aaron with us...it's a blessing. Love you and continuing to pray for you... Cheryl

Amber said...

I love you and am so proud of you. You are such a treasure, and I am so thankful for our friendship. I will weep with you today, as we both wish for what we don't have. BUT...I am so grateful that God has brought such good from this. You are on my thoughts and in my heart and prayers today. Love you, Amber

The Cross Family said...

Thank you for sharing your heart and sweet Aaron with us....what a blessing yall all are..Praying for you

abbey said...

Faith,
I love you, I love you, I love you. And, I am praying for you and Scott and Levi today as I can only imagine what a hard day it will be. I can tell you that you have definitely touched my heart, and though, you may question it, no doubt, you have truly touched the lives of others, by sharing your story of Aaron. I weep with you and rejoice with you as you celebrate the life that you did have with Aaron, and the sadness you feel of the time you were not granted. I love the verse you wrote of about comfort, and how true it is, that yes, God comforts us, but He is now using you, to comfort others who may be going through some of the same experiences you went/are going through. Praying for you, and sending up lots of love for Aaron today. I am so thankful to God for the strength, and courage He has given you, and pray that He comforts you with His loving arms, and gives you peace that only He can give today. Love you, Abbey

Suzan said...

I remember that post. Know that you guys are loved and prayed for by us and so many others. I know we seldom see each other, but you are on my mind and heart so very often.

Anonymous said...

Faith,
It has obviously been a long time since I've seen you, because I had no idea about any of this. I happened to stumble upon your video today on Facebook, which led me to your blog, and I have been weeping for the past half hour. I am so sorry for what you have been through, but at the same time, I rejoice that you know our Savior, and that you are comforted in him even on this day. As I am frantically packing up, trying to get home to my almost-80 year old Granny, who isn't expected to make it through the weekend, and I stop to take in your story, I am very bluntly reminded of our Lord's perfect timing, and His perfect will, and I truly have no choice but to be thankful that he is Sovreign. Thank you for the reminder, tonight of all nights, when I was having a hard time recognizing that. My love and prayers are with you and your precious family.

Krisi Allen