Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Power of a Q-Tip

Night before last, I colored my hair. I’m too cheap to do it at the salon. It usually turns out ok, so I don’t sweat it. After all the rinsing and conditioning, I scrounged around the bathroom drawers to find a box of Q-tips (can’t risk leaving in colorant in the ears...). The box of Wegman’s brand Q-tips I found held a lot of precious memories for me.

For those of you who don’t know, Wegman’s is a grocery chain in the Northeast. I only went there once...with my Aaron. It was during the few days we were by ourselves at the Ronald McDonald House in Camden before his surgeries. It was a really nice grocery store, tons of food choices, parking right in the front for parents of small children, and these great upright buggies (Yankees call them "carts") that hold a baby carrier nicely on top. You can’t find them around here. Aaron and I were anticipating the arrival of Scott, my mom and Levi, and we went out to pick up some important items like Diet Mountain Dew, cereal, yogurt, etc.

I wish I could remember all the specifics about that day, but I can’t. I do remember it was warmer than normal for early March in New Jersey. I wish I had taken pictures of our only trip to Wegman’s in our rented Ford Focus, but I didn’t. I thought we would have many more outings together instead of just a handful of excursions to Target, Babies R Us, Chik Fila and Wegman’s. We did take little trips through the McDonald’s drive-thru a few times just for a change of scenery. If I had known how short our time would be together outside the hospital, and in life, I would have photographed every moment. Sadly, I didn’t.

I guess the good thing about the Q-tips is that they remind me not to take time with the ones I love for granted. And to be thankful for the memories I do have.







6 comments:

Amy Ingram said...

Just wanted you to know that I love you lots.

Unknown said...

I lost a 13-year-old niece on July 14, 2003. One of my greatest fears is that I'll forget the sound of her voice. I am so thankful to have videos of her. I watch them often and laugh and cry. Thanks for the reminder to take more pictures and get that video camera out again. AND, even more importantly, to cherish every moment with family and friends.

Suzan said...

I will never look at a Q-tip the same. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I have tears pouring down my face after reading this post. It's not fair, and I just don't understand WHY?! I know Aaron is in the arms of our Heavenly Father, but I wish so much that he was here with you, Scott, and Levi! I cannot fathom your heartache. I pray I never have to know it. I love you friend. Thanks for reminding me how important every moment is.

Sarah said...

I love to read your thoughts. It reminds me of the importance of mine - and reminds me that my own experience with Maddy is just as real - how I wish I could hold her again. I . . . I'm sure you know what I feel.

RD said...

I received an e-mail from my friend Marie who lost her first son a few months before you lost Aaron. She asked specifically how you were doing. Know you still have many people praying for you. You have all touched many lives. Thank you for sharing with us. We love you!